Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Todo Bien

Alrighty, so here goes another attempt to bring a little insight into my life here in Paraguay. I have had an awesome last 2 weeks but before I get into it I want to follow up on the story about making mate dulce. As I had mentioned, in order to get the coco I was cracking the shell with the dull side of an axe. At that point I wasn’t really questioning where the mini coconuts were coming from. There are many gigantic coconut trees in the area so clearly my little brother had gone underneath one and collected all the coconuts….or so I thought. What really happens is that while the cows are grazing they eat the coconuts. The coconuts they eat actually have two different shells, one on top of the other. Therefore, what happens is the cows eat the coconut and as it digests them it breaks the first layer down so that when they take a crap they send out coconuts with only one layer left. So that means…my brother picked out the coconuts from the piles of cow crap that are out in the field. Pretty disgusting to think about but I still would jump at the chance to drink some, even as I write this.

Since drinking coconut milk that has passed through the digestive track of a cow, I have had a few more experiences that are worthy of sharing. The first one was when my group of 6 cooperative volunteers went to visit a small town called Valenzuela. It is there that a current volunteer, Jenn, is about to finish her service. We went there for to 2 days to check out her site and see first hand what she has been up to the last 2 years. To start, Jenn did her service where her main project being a women’s group, as opposed to a cooperative. The women’s group has a very similar idea to the co-op except with a goal more centered around empowering women.

So when I got to Valenzuela I was dropped off at my host new host family (Just for this one night). They were the sweetest family ever. They have 6 little kids and my main interaction with the 4 youngest ones consisted of them staring at me for long periods of time as if I was some sort of alien. The dad is a Priest and plays guitar. Both him and his wife are taking an intensive year of night school so they can get there high school diplomas. By the end of the year they’ll have done the equivalent of their last three years of high school. Part of their ciriculum is English. Naturally, I was able to help them with that and they, like many, think it’s a modern marvel I can help them with their English homework. Then, before we went to bed that night we passed the guitar back and forth, showing each other what music is like from our respective worlds.

In the time between getting dropped off and that rock out session, we all went to Jenn’s women’s center and the cooperative in her town. The women’s center is composed of a few different rooms. The first one is little store that sells various school supplies and things like cotton blankets and placemats. Behind that is a room of computers that Jenn put together. Through a matching grants program in Paraguay she got the computers and internet. Then in the back there is a huge wooden structure that makes the blankets and placemats that are sold in their little store. Unfortunately, I don’t know the right name for it but its basic purpose is to use huge spools of cotton and convert it into cloth. There are a few petals on the bottom and by stepping on them you send the string from one side to the other. Then pull the stings together and tie off the ends. Lastly, there is a kitchen where the women are holding classes. They bring in a chef from the capital in hopes that a few of them will go on to start their own bakery. As of now, all the baked goods are brought in from a neighboring town. Therefore, there seems to be a large demand for a local bakery. As you may imagine, this would set a great example for women to be more entrepreneurial in the future.

After we left the women’s center we went to the cooperative, at which she doesn’t work because it’s an incredibly successful co-op. It was there we met with the director and she explained to use the 40 year story of the co-op and its road to success. They have done such a good and have so many members that they’re even able to provide health insurance! The co-op makes its money 2 ways. In the same way Jenn’s women’s group makes things with the cotton machine, the co-op does the same except thing on a much larger scale. Not only do they make tons of blankets and placemats, but also rugs and hammocks. They also give out loans and collect on the interest. If you want a loan you have to start off with the equivalent of $125 and if you pay that back you can continue to build your way up and up with every repayment. They have something like 6,000 members! All those members pay an upfront amount to join and then a monthly payment as well. The benefits they receive by being a member are: they have access to those loans, they can buy the products it produces at a discount, and they get a share of the profits every year. In the case of this co-op, those profits are going toward helping to pay for different form of insurance, in addition to the health insurance. To say the least, I was fascinated hearing about the success of the co-op and how it has played such a big role in improving their local economy.

When we finished with the co-op director Jenn told us about some the side projects she’s done, which often end up being a larger part of a volunteer’s service than their main project. The two that stood out to me were a project involving digital cameras and the other a diary project. Beginning with the camera project, PC Paraguay got a grant for some digital cameras and if a volunteer requests them they go with the volunteer to their site for a few weeks. In those few weeks the volunteer teaches a group of youth how to use them and some basic ideas of what kinds of pictures to take. Of course, the kids absolutely love using the cameras. It’s a fantastic project to introduce the power of art and build self esteem. It commences with an exhibit of all the kids favorite pictures. And the best of best will actually be on display at the embassy for the 4th of July party. (Strangely enough, it’s the second biggest US embassy in the world, second only to Iraq)

The other project she did was a having the kids write a diary. She said the kids really got into it because any sort creative writing is something completely new them. From what I’ve been told, the only writing they do is direct copying off the chalk board while in school. Then at the end of the diary project they presented them at the school…meaning they read their diaries aloud. Amazing. I can’t wait to do both of those projects! I especially can’t wait because I just read The Freedom Writers Diary. It was the perfect book to keep inspired.

Well that’s pretty much it as far as my visit to Jenn’s site goes. The other cool experience I had was my 3rd “dia de practica” or day of practice in the community. These days of pracitca are days that we spend alone networking in the community as opposed to going to language class all morning. In day one I was assigened to a part of the community and I basically just walked around getting to know the people and their situations. The idea is that at the end of the day you pick the one place you visited where you want to spend the remaining 4 days of practice. The most fascinating place that I went was a huge awesome field of lettuce, onions, carrots, and other veges…which I think I’ve mentioned in a precious blog. Well anyway, last week I was able to work in the field with them all morning harvesting lettuce. The process went a little like this: There is a sort of head of lettuce coming up from the ground and because the ground is so fertile you stick your hand into the ground and rip it out by the roots, rip the roots off, and grab a few more. Once you’ve made a nice little pile of you move on. Then all the little piles get loaded into a huge wooden box which is carried to the sink to be washed. The washing process is done in two huge cement sinks coming off the ground. The first is to sort of get the majority of dirt off and the second to get it pretty close to all the way clean. Then all the lettuce is piled together and we had to tie them into bundles for shipping. While sitting in are these little kiddy chairs, kindergarten style, we took the leaves from the coconut trees and ripped them into sting. The leaves have veins that run vertically so you can easily split them into something viable for tying the lettuce together. This went on for a few hours and being that I was bare foot and on my hand and knees all day I was nice and dirty when it was all over. Throughout the day I had been inquiring about whole process of how they get their products to market and what kinds of problems they are encountering. It was a great learning experience, and hopefully I’ll know a lot more by the time I’m done with my 5th day with them.

I’m going to try and wrap this up here. A something I have coming up: Next week I’m going on a 5 day visit with 2 others in my group to a volunteer who is in a really rural site…meaning no running water or toilets. Because we’ve met him a few times already and realized that he’s got a ton to teach us we’re pretty excited. His service has been spent working a banana plantation and the production cooperative it’s associated with. It’s in a community that almost completely surrounded by water so you have to take a boat to get there. When the bananas get picked up for shipping to Argentina a huge truck has to come across via a barge. I’ve heard it’s absolutely gorgeous. I can’t wait. And because he leaves in a few weeks we think that his site will be one of our sites in the future. I´ve kind of got my fingers crossed.

Then the week after I get back from there we get our site placements. We’re all nervously awaiting to hear what site we’ll be spending the next 2 years of our lives.

That’s it. Until next time.



p.s. I´m gathering a list of interesting culutural stuff. That´s still to come.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lebo, I was only able to read the first part of your blog because I have Attention Deficit Disorder but I'll read the rest in the next couple days. 2 comments: 1) Your little bro is sick. I mean really sick. If my little brother made me eat cow poop I would open up the biggest can of whoop ass known to man on him. I hope you put your little bro in his place. 2) What song did you play in the rock out session? I'm assuming "The Space Between" by Dave Matthews.